Competetive Wing Cookoff
Knoxville will feel the heat this summer as the 6th Annual Big Kahuna Wing Festival (BKWF) fills Downtown Knoxville with the tantalizing, alluring aroma of hot wings on the barbie on Saturday, June 16, 2018 from 12:00PM until 8:00PM.
What you Need to Know
BOOTH SPACE INFORMATION: Booths are allocated in 10′ x 10 units.
WHERE: The charity event will be held at the Worlds Fair Park Performance Lawn located in between the Sunsphere and 11th Street. With teams from near and far vying to take home the $4,000 Grand Prize and “Tennessee’s Best Wings-2018” bragging rights.
HOW MUCH: The fee to participate in the contest is $400 per team (the entry deadline is May 26, 2018). We also require you provide a $100 clean up deposit which will be returned as your team checks out.
HOW TO APPLY: To compete you must first read and accept our competition rules and regulations. Then complete the cooking team application.
JUDGING: Each contestant will be judged through a blind judging process provided by KCBS. This is designed to guarantee fairness to all the competitors. The rulings of the judges are final.
PRIZES: In addition to bragging rights, we will award prize money and a trophy to the top 3 scoring teams as determined by our judges.
- $4,000 – Big Kahuna Champion and Tennessee State Champion!
- $2,000 – Exotic Flavor Champion
- $500 – FIRE Sauce Champion
- $500 – Creative Spicy Champion
- $500 – Creative Sweet Champion
A trophy or plaque will be presented to the team who wins the “Big Kahuna Picks” Award. The award will be based on the team which raises the most in donations from patrons sampling wings
Day of the Event
- Load in: June 15th, 3:00 PM-8:00 PM, and June 16th, 7:00 AM-9:00 AM
- Gates Open: 11 AM for VIP and 12 PM for General Admission
- Judging: Beginning at 3:00 PM
- Winners Results Announced: 7:30 PM
- Load out: After final Music act around 8:00 PM
Entries will be submitted in a container provided by the contest organizer.
- Judges are not permitted to socialize with teams on contest day until judging is completed.
- There will be one (1) judge for every team entered into the contest. Each judge will be at least 18 years old.
- No one other than judges, necessary staff and contest officials will be permitted inside the judging area, during judging.
- Each judge will judge for appearance, taste and tenderness. Entries will not be compared.
Additional Team Requirements and Disclosures
Each item is required to supply all the items for the cooking of wings and general materials needed for their booth.
SAFETY IS IMPORTANT TO US! However, each team is liable for any bodily or other harm as a direct result of negligence on the part of that team. In submitting your application you will be acknowledging and accepting these terms and indemnifying the Big Kahuna Wing Festival Group of any and all liability resulting from such negligence.
Thank you for your cooperation and good luck! – If you agree to our terms and conditions of entry then click here to register.
For complete 2018 rules and regulations please click here.