Competetive Wing Cookoff
Knoxville will feel the heat this Labor Day as the 7th Annual Big Kahuna Wing Festival (BKWF) fills Downtown Knoxville with the tantalizing, alluring aroma of hot wings on the barbie on Saturday, September 1, 2019 from 1:00PM until 9:00PM.
What you Need to Know
BOOTH SPACE INFORMATION: Booths are allocated in 10′ x 10 units.
WHERE: The charity event will be held at the Worlds Fair Park Performance Lawn located in between the Sunsphere and 11th Street. With teams from near and far vying to take home the $4,000 Grand Prize and “Tennessee’s Best Wings-2018” bragging rights.
HOW MUCH: The fee to participate in the contest is $300 per team (the entry deadline is August 1, 2019). “Sauce Only” Entry fee is $500 and allows teams the option of NOT cooking the wings, but only preparing them after cooked. We also require you provide a $100 clean up deposit which will be returned as your team checks out.
HOW TO APPLY: To compete you must first read and accept our competition rules and regulations. Then complete the cooking team application.
JUDGING: Each contestant will be judged with the EAT Methodology developed by the World Food Championships. This is designed to guarantee fairness to all the competitors, while also factoring in the creativity and execution of each dish. The rulings of the judges are final.
PRIZES: In addition to bragging rights, we will award prize money and a trophy to the top 3 scoring teams as determined by our judges.
- $4,000 – Big Kahuna Champion and Tennessee State Champion!
- $1,000 – Exotic Flavor Champion
- $1,000 – FIRE Sauce Champion
- $1,000 – Creative Spicy Champion
- $1,000 – Creative Sweet Champion
A trophy or plaque will be presented to the team who wins the “Big Kahuna Picks” Award. The award will be based on the team which raises the most in donations from patrons sampling wings
Day of the Event
- Load in: August 30th, 3:00 PM-8:00 PM, and September 1st, 7:00 AM-9:00 AM (no cars allowed on the lawn the day of the event)
- Gates Open: 12 PM for VIP and 1 PM for General Admission
- Judging: Beginning at 4:00 PM
- Winners Results Announced: 8:30 PM
- Load out: After Fireworks show, around 9:30 PM
Entries will be judged AT YOUR SITE by a panel of 5 WFC EAT judges. You get to choose how to present them to the judges, either on a tray, a dish, in a box, with garnish or not. Additional key aspects include:
- Your TITLE and DESCRIPTOIN for your entry. This needs to be very insightful, and similar to what you would write for a restaurant menu if your wings were being served there.
- Each of the judges will sample your wings, so you need to have at least 2 wings per judge for their assessment.
- The judges will score you on the EAT Methodolgy, which stands for Execution (of your recipe flavors), Appearance, and Taste.
- Your entry will be judged on its own merits, and NOT compared to other competitor entries.
- EAT scores are weighted as follows: Execution (35%), Appearance (15%) and Taste (50%).
- A cooks meeting will be held on site on the day of the contest to go over any questions about this new process. The time and location of this meeting will be communicated to each team prior to arriving at the event.
- Each category winner will earn a Golden Ticket that qualifies them into the 2019 World Food Championships being held in Dallas, Texas on Oct. 16-20.
Additional Team Requirements and Disclosures
Each item is required to supply all the items for the cooking of wings and general materials needed for their booth.
SAFETY IS IMPORTANT TO US! However, each team is liable for any bodily or other harm as a direct result of negligence on the part of that team. In submitting your application you will be acknowledging and accepting these terms and indemnifying the Big Kahuna Wing Festival Group of any and all liability resulting from such negligence.
Thank you for your cooperation and good luck! – If you agree to our terms and conditions of entry then click here to register.
For complete 2019 rules and regulations please click here.